Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Perk of the job

I have to say, my job is pretty cool sometimes. One of my favorite perks of working for Arooga's is getting to work the promo tent at Harrisburg Senator's games! We talk to lots of people, and spread the Arooga's love. Plus we get to watch baseball!

We also get to participate in some of the games on the field in between innings and do some cool stuff like throwing t-shirts into the stands. It's pretty fun to be a part of the on field entertainment and help make the game fun for everyone.



This particular game that I want to tell you about was even more special. I walked in the front gate with Nikki, our marketing & catering manager, and we were greeted by Todd, our go-to guy for all things Senators. He asked if anyone would want to throw the first pitch. I'm pretty sure I squealed. Of course I want to throw the first pitch! It's a childhood dream for anyone who grew up watching baseball.



We quickly set up our tent and had a minute to relax before the gates opened. Usually I love the quiet at Metro Bank Park before the crowd comes in, but the silence started making me a bit nervous. I started thinking about all of terrible first pitches I've seen in the past that have made me laugh or made me roll my eyes. I did not want to be on of those! I didn't want to bomb the pitch like the people in this video:


Eventually we made our way down to the field. It looked like a storm was coming so the first pitch was delayed a little bit, but that was okay. It gave me some time to warm up! I tossed the ball around with Nikki and Greg (the in game host and friend of Arooga's!). I was still nervous but feeling a little more confident.



And good news.. I didn't bomb it! I made it across the plate! I don't think it would've been called a strike since it was a bit low, but it made it to the plate! 


Unfortunately the weather got a bit scary and we had to tear down our tent almost immediately after the pitch, but it was super fun and I'm very proud of myself. If you ever get the chance to throw a first pitch, DO IT! It's empowering! Plus now I have a trophy for my desk to cheer me up anytime I need a pick-me-up.


No comments:

Post a Comment